Saturday 25 February 2012

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey



First I would like to congratulate Amy on her debut novel. Absolutely stunning on so many levels for me.

I have to admit that I was a little confused when I first started reading COLD KISS but as I got into the novel everything started making sense and I could feel more of what was being expressed on the pages. I have this strong feeling that Amy's background as an editor added to the quality of her debut novel and for me it made an excellent read.

Amy has this amazing ability to have emotion so raw on the pages that you can't help but feel your heart being twisted in so many directions as Wren struggles with what she has done, keeping secrets from her mother, sister and aunt not to mention Danny's family and friends, her friends, falling in love with someone else that can also read her like book and the freshness of the wound for loosing Danny. I doubt there is a page in COLD KISS that does not have rawness between the lines or enveloped in the words.

Sure enough the novel is among the greats in the YA paranormal shelves but I don't think it was that apparent in the novel which for me was interesting. Sure Wren's family comes with powers of their own as well as Gabrielle and his sister but it didn't play a vital part of the story, maybe that is the wrong statement because with her powers Wren brought Danny back from the dead because she couldn't imagine her life without the one guy that knew everything about her. That does play a strong part in the novel but it isn't in your face paranormal.

I was so engrossed in Wren's battle over what she had done to Danny and the life that he now had to "live" that I found myself sneaking reading sessions during work and any other free time that I could get. At one point my mother asked if i had fallen asleep in the tub because I had been in there forever. It was one of those novels that you find hard to put down and if you don't have it in your hand or bag you feel like you're missing apart of yourself.

The final pages of COLD KISS had my on the edge of my seat and unable to talk to anyone until I knew how the novel ended. My heart was torn into a million pieces at the end but it left me speechless and in awe all at once. It was worth the endless hours of tears, laughs and even a bit of blue days thrown in for good measure.

I cannot wait to see what else Amy has under sleeve and I for one will keep an eye out for any of her novels that I can only hope she will write in the future.

Happy Reading :)

Gillian
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...