Saturday 28 January 2012

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton


Firstly I would like to congratulate Tessa Gratton on her debut book.
When BLOOD MAGIC first came out I was drawn to the cover but not so sure it would be something I would enjoy reading, everyone one that I know encouraged the read but stubbornly refused. I think I got tired of everyone suggesting the book that I actually went out and bought it. I guess they had the correct notion about the book :)

I found the beginning a little slow, but the pace picked up quickly which I thought was awesome, I'm not a fan of slow books. I found that BLOOD MAGIC has a few themes running through the pages but its not over-powering. As with all YA novels romance is a key aspect, loss, pain, the undying need for power, forgiveness and strength.

I would love to have gotten more background to Silla's family instead of just the tragedy of losing her parents. Its remarkable to see how 2 siblings can take losing their parents differently, Silla held strong to the fact that her father would not kill his wife no matter what he was going through, but on the other hand her brother felt deeply that he was a sick and twisted man. The loss of their parents changed a lot of things for them and for me that makes a very strong story line. I loved reading how they discovered the magic, getting closer to how things were before the horrific murder. Don't get me wrong, things take another nasty turn again, that left me in tears at work.

Nick is the new guy from the city and has a few secrets of his own. I don't want to ruin the book for anyone and I know that the path I'm running on will. I'm going to do my best not to spoil too much. 
I believe that because of a secret that draws Silla to him and vice verse. Their relationship isn't always so smooth but they try to get over the obstacles and come out on the other end stronger. They both helped each other grow and even master their darkest fears.

I believe that BLOOD MAGIC is not for the faint hearted with the description of the blood rituals but with a strong stomach I think its a good read.
Looking forward to the next instalment, THE BLOOD KEEPERS because I feel that there is more to explained and I'm hoping to dive into Phillip's past to learn more than what was available in BLOOD MAGIC.

Happy Reading

Gillian
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...